CyberGuardians have the knowledge, skills, and commitment needed to meet the ongoing challenges of cyber crime, cyber privacy, and information security.
As a CyberGuardian, I pledge to:
- Learn and stay informed about cyber risks, threats, vulnerabilities, and defensive measures.
- Protect my own and my family’s important information and our computing devices.
- Share my cybersecurity knowledge and expertise with village residents.
Protection measures include the following:
- Protect Personal Information: Freeze my credit and the credit of family members; regularly review bank, credit card, investment accounts, and medical records; review family credit reports at least annually; never send personal information, such as Social Security Numbers, bank account numbers or debit or credit card numbers, in email or texts.
- Secure My Home Network: Use strong unique passwords with a properly configured and maintained router and secure WiFi encrypted with WPA2 or stronger.
- Secure My Computing Devices: Use non-administrative accounts, strong unique passwords, software-based firewalls, anti-malware, encrypted file storage, and regular patching and updating of programs.
- Protect Access to Sensitive Online Accounts: Use strong unique passwords and 2FA / MFA when available on personal accounts, such as banks, brokerages, eCommerce, and official government sites. Use a password manager to store and protect passwords.
- Ensure Information Availability: Maintain a secure, encrypted, remote, multi-version backup of important files. Test restoration periodically.
- Practice Caution: Avoid opening attachments or clicking links in email if not certain of the source or the email’s legitimacy. Use a VPN when accessing the Internet over a Public WiFi. Use different passwords for different applications and websites, and change if a breach is announced.
- Maintain Secure Records: Maintain secure records of all personal cyber details for use by my family in the event of my incapacitation.
- Seek Expert Guidance in the event of a suspected malware attack.
- Digital badge to proudly display on your email signature and post on social media
- Free subscription to the SecureTheVillage Cybersecurity News of the Week & Weekend Patch Report
- Satisfaction of knowing that you’re doing your part towards a cybersecure global village